Friday 7 July 2006

does our perception ever match our reality?

I'm fat. For those of you who know me, you're probably thinking 'duh' right now. I'm aware of this...a lot of the time I'm acutely aware of this. The thing is that sometimes (for brief periods of time) I forget. Then I see pictures...or video and become aware that, not only am I fat, I'm much fatter than I thought. The evolved side of me realizes that I should have the " and?" mentality. Who the hell who should care that I'm fat any more than they care that I have beautiful long hair? Yes, there are the health reasons, but let's face it, very few people give a shit enough to think about that when they're looking at you. The evolved side of me watched the F.A.T. pageant the other night at astro and was proud of these girls (versus the other part of me who was thinking the smaller chicks were definitely more attractive). The unevolved, self-conscious part of me is uncomfortable in my body, worries whether I would be able to be hired for the job I want, wonders how I'll ever attract a man. I write all of this because I'm tired of bowing to the evolved side...tired of letting my weak nature and busy schedule win. I want to eat better, exercise more, and not feel like cringing as I see a picture of me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweetie...
ur not FAT! just little bit on a chubby side. and i love u just the way u r... ur sweet gal with great sense of humour, and i think those who knows u will agree with me.

Anonymous said...

siri, ur cute, u hef a great job and a cool(and rich) guy in ur arm, so, don't u dare go low-self esteem k...

sri said...

thx shobi tat was sweet... but i dun hef him in my arm!!! (at least not yet)right now, i only hef him in my phone.