Monday 8 October 2007

bright lights, big mouth

Sometimes you feel as if you are walking down a catwalk, bright lights shining in your face, loud music thundering in your ears, flash bulbs erupting like tiny bolts of lightening...and all the while the room is filled with hundreds of non-singles...watching you...looking for flaws, for weaknesses, just waiting for you to trip and fall.

Well, one of those critical faces confronted me directly this week. A co-worker felt the need to inquire as to why, at my thirties, I wasn't married yet (she after all had gotten married when she was 20. She and I are the same age yet she has been married for more than 10 years and has 2 children, whereas I live alone and don't have so much as a parakeet.)

I gritted my teeth and gave the now robotic response, "I just haven't found the right guy yet." And do you KNOW what she said to me?"

You know, you should really think of trying one of those Match.com dating things... that's what I would do if I were in your situation. I mean, because really... you're not going to be able to have kids after too much longer you know."

A few moments of silence followed and instead of punching her between the eyes as was my initial reaction to handling the situation, I took another route. Instead, I calmly picked my jaw up off the floor, closed my eyes and strutted down my catwalk... hips swaying... lights flashing... letting the pounding music drown out the nay-sayers.

My runway, my life.

Let them ogle me...because the plain fact of the matter is, while I'm strutting ahead in life... they're stuck to their seats.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH! That's an awful thing for her to say- I would have punched her! I hate smug couples- esp those who I knew when they were single and suddenly turn all superior on me when they find that someone. But you know what, I also know unhappy couples and as much as I feel sorry for them, it's a constant reminder that it's really better to be alone than lonely while in a relationship.

I just read an article that says that guys have clocks too, which made me feel quite thrilled (evil, I know). Hang in there. . .and seriously, stay away from people like this woman!

MM

Anu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anu said...

I think they're just envious of u - that's why they have to say mean things like that. U go strut your stuff girl! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Sri, a great post. You're co-worker is a moron.

sri said...

mm - true, i am sooo stayin away from her.

anu - i think u r absolutely right, they r envious of d single (& fabulous) ppl like us.

phil - i love u.