Friday 2 November 2007

it's my birthday... and i'll cry if i want to...

Two nights ago (Halloween), was my birthday. Yes, I was born on Halloween. No, I do not do Halloweeny things though it is an awesome, evil, carnivalesque pagan holiday which means on this day I get two bites at the apple.

This year I’d decided to celebrate at Langkawi (on my own). It was very awesome, especially because I never had such a birthday. To look at my past, I never celebrated my birthday till I reach my twenties and started to live on my own. My family members are not so big on birthdays, and mine was a definitely no-fun kinda family. So, now I celebrate birthday unabashedly. It’s nice, if age-affirming.

In actuality I’m not quite so ‘young’ anymore though –used to be precociously young for everything – now I’m just at that right age, or even older than the average. It is all very strange. In many ways though, this is an era for me: I have entered my “thirties” – and the twenties are thankfully past…J I’m entering that stage of life in which I should be pretty well on my way towards all the scary things that comes with adulthood; a career, someplace to eventually settle down, someone to settle down with, a mortgage to pay, a household to build.

However I have to admit to the fact that, the excitement of being in my thirties kinda muted this year. I guess I just figured that my life would be a smidgen different by now. I thought I would have accomplished more. I have expected to have the big steady job, the great steady boyfriend, and you know, an entire complete life. But I guess that’s not realistic. I mean, I’m still pretty young for all that, right? I don’t’ have a swanky crazy-go-nuts paying job, but I’m working towards getting my dream job by doing little bit of homework here and there. I don’t have some steamy boyfriend, but I’m putting myself out there to find one. That’s what counts, right? The bottom line is, I’m not at my dreams yet, but I’m on the right path.

And for now, I’m happy to be who I am – a single girl who lives a fabulous life learning interesting things and new methodologies; just starting to write my thoughts and finding them surprisingly well-received; still having enough free time to figuring things out and still having what kids these days call “fun”.

So to celebrate my birthdayness – I’m going to give you guys a look at beautiful langkawi…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, it looks beautiful and I'm glad you took some time off to pamper yourself for your birthday! Happy birthday again. And by the way, I think no matter what age/stage we're at, we always tend to think things could be different or that they're not what we wished they would be by now. Totally human, but don't forget all the wonderful things you've achieved even without planning. Take care!

-MM

Anu said...

Glad u had fun on your birthday!
The pics look fantastic...we'll catch up on your trip and life in a few hours! See u soon!

PICKLEMAN said...

The pics are stunningly beautiful. I'm glad that you decided to share them.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Hope it was meaningful and fun for you.

Take care.

Sharon
(Sree Sharma's fren)

sri said...

mm - i guess, i have had achieved quite a bit a eh...:) thank you sweetie.

anu - i have always enjoyed our chillis get together. catch up with u soon k, preferably before (or after) the big trip.

mr pickle - u've seen nuthin yet...

sharon - thank u for droppin by...