Wednesday 29 June 2011

the eternal wife... dance, drama & dazzle!

Watching an Indian classical dance show isn’t the first time for me, but watching a classical indian tragedy dance drama with the touch of a kama sutra would be the first time experience. What is more incredible is the dancers were consisting of diverse shapes, colours and from various ethnical backgrounds. Also, the startling part is the show starts with a performance of worshiping of the Lord Shiva with the setting of a Shiva temple; In-fact there were many abinayas (gesture) in the performance throughout the show in regards to worshipping of Lord Shiva. Let me tell you this, Lord Shiva is a hindu God… he is like an ultimate form of Hinduism! And, seeing these performers (from various ethnical background) express their movements and techniques of an indian classical dance flawlessly and most importantly without prejudice is something I didn't expect to see... not in this land! The dancers were absolutely remarkable in articulate their abinayas and hastas... in a pure hindu way! The eye movements, the hand gestures and every single step were performed immaculately despite the fact that some of the dancers were not actually trained to perform bharathanatyam originally. And, seeing them dancing seriously made me shed some tears cause I missed the chance of completing my bharathanatyam.

I have to admit that the choreographer, directors and everyone else involves in this production did an amazing job!

And, I also must say that in a way, it’s an eye opener for me too, because... you see, despite the fact that I’ve always been fascinated by Malaysian Art Loving Community, you know, the kind of people that love theatre, music and plays... I have to confess that once or twice I’ve made some fun remarks of these people, perhaps it’s because of their individuality and how they expressed these things. But now I get it… I totally get it! These are group of people who might dress-up or even behave oddly in times but what they all have in common is that they love art... without boundaries (& bigotry). So, thanks anu... for taking me along for these shows. Believe it or not it actually helps me a lot! Because when I’m with these people somehow I feel very relaxed and easy as if I’m at my world with my kinda people who speak my language! And they don’t look at me in a weird way...

1 comment:

Anu said...

One of the reasons that I am in love with theatre is that people who are in are open minded, creative and sometimes even crazy. (but in an interesting way) And its cool that Malaysians of all races and religious beliefs can enjoy and appreciate performances like Nitya Sumangali. Thanks for being my theatre buddy. We'll continue to go for theatre. :)